Tomorrow (Friday) morning Aiden is scheduled for surgery to have a G-Tube inserted. It is a surgically implemented feeding tube used to provide nutrition into the stomach. We have gone back and forth as to whether or not to do this over the past few days. Per the advice of our pulmonologist and pediatrician, we decided to do it in hopes that it will help Aiden.
Once the G-tube is in place, he will be fed primarily during the night when he is sleeping which will reduce the likelihood of him vomiting. During the day, we will try to feed him by mouth to help him overcome his oral aversion.
This has been a tough decision and there seems to be no right answer. There are risks if we do it and risks if we don’t. Hopefully, removing the tube that is currently in his nose will make things better for him to where he will try eating again.
If the vomiting does not stop, then the next step would be to administer a drug called Cisapride. It is known to be a very effective drug in assisting with gastrointestinal issues. However, due to safety concerns it is not FDA approved and can only be administered one place in the United States: Boston Children’s Hospital. This is because it has been known to be potentially lethal in certain cases and has to be administered in very small doses under the supervision of medical staff. So, if Aiden does not improve within the next few weeks, then there is a good chance we will have to go back to Boston and administer the drug over the course of a week. Even then, there is no guarantee that it will work.
Please continue to keep him in your prayers…