We visited the MFM doctor again today. Baby A and Baby B (the identicals) are looking good and growing; however, two weeks ago during the routine ultrasound, they found a growth in Baby C’s lungs (Baby C is the fraternal) which was diagnosed as CAM or C-CAM (congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation of the lung). Although we have been having developmental ultrasounds every 2-4 weeks with the OB/GYN and the MFM doctors, this was the first time they had seen this. The growth has already misplaced the baby’s heart, but they said it did not seem to be slowing him down and since the baby’s lungs do not work in utero, it was not an immediate concern in that regard. The doctors said that they would continue to keep an eye on it and watch for any signs of fetal distress, decompensation, etc.
There is a 6% chance that the growth may resolve itself. The biggest concern at this point is that the CAM would continue to grow to the point were it would cause decompensation and force a decision as to whether we should take all three babies to save Baby C. Another scenario is that it may not grow much larger than it already is, but would require surgery at or shortly after birth to allow Baby C’s lungs to work properly.
We went back today and did an ultrasound to check on the CAM, which was still there and is still misplacing the heart. The MFM doctor said that the baby looked “smaller” (Baby C has always been the smaller of the three) but that it is too soon to obtain accurate measurements for comparison, so we will need to wait another 2 weeks for comparison measurements for all of the babies.
So many of you have been so kind and mentioned that you are praying for the babies, so we would ask that you continue to keep them in your prayers and pray especially for Baby C, that this growth would resolve itself. Of course, all of this is in God’s hands, and we trust that He knows best and will take care of the final outcome. We will keep you posted via this site and let you know as soon as we learn more.
Manish & Hannah